Mecano Sheds and Kit Homes

Owner-Building your Kit Home

Important things you should know about building a Kit Home

Wind Rating – You will need the necessary information regarding local councils building regarding what wind rating and category your home will be approved for.

Soil Test – Once the soil test is completed the footing/slab design can be quickly done. Most councils require a percolation test where no sewerage is available.

Energy Efficiency and Engineering – You may be aware that most councils will not approve your building permit if it is not designed with engineering that conforms to the correct wind rating, neither will approval be given if it does not meet with the energy efficiency rating relevant for your particular location. Once Mecano have the information regarding the wind speed and category, all kits are supplied with the proper engineered certified energy efficiency calculations. Energy efficiency calculation is subject to the direction of the house as it relates to the sun, shade, glazing, insulation, etc.

Building Contractors – There are certain building requirements and regulations that will not allow an owner builder to perform any work: For example: Plumbing and electrical works are strictly regulated, therefore only qualified persons can be engaged to carry out those services. Because Mecano supply just the lock-up kit, you should be familiar with local plumbers/electricians that can assist with a plumbing plan and electricity to site. If you decide to go “owner builder” a plumber will have to submit a plumbing plan along with the engineered plans and elevations received from Mecano. Your local electrician may suggest a temporary building pole. All other work such as concrete work, structural framing, roofing, cladding, and internal fittings may be carried out by the owner-builder, or contracted out. At each stage of the building work, a building inspector (either a private certifier or a building inspector from the local building authority) will need to inspect.

Owner Builder Course – If you haven’t yet applied for the owner builder’s course, there are at least three ways you may apply. 

  1. TAFE College – One is very likely to be available within a reasonable distance from you.

  2. Download an application form at

  3. Phone the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) and ask for the nearest place to collect an Owner Builder’s application form. Their Phone number is 139 333.